Tuesday, October 6, 2009

TV Obsession


“I would watch Saved by the Bell the same way all high school kids watch morning television, which is to say I stared at it with the same thoughtless intensity I displayed when watching the dryer. I watched it because it was on TV, which is generally the driving force behind why most people watch any program... Consumers don't demand it to be good. It just needs to be watchable.”


-Chuck Klosterman. Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs (p138).


The television has invaded our homes, but this is not news to anyone it has been this way for many years. It started off in the 20th century and has been corrupting minds and stealing hours of people’s lives since. Just think it was invented basically to improve the radio. Radio shows became sitcoms, the news turned into many different broadcasting stations on a variety of channels, and advertisements became more influencing. Then more was added; like teen drama’s, reality shows and much more insignificant ones, but they all still seem to catch our attention.


 I admit I am addicted to watching television and I do become hooked to the odd sitcom from time to time. But in response to what Chuck Klosterman stated am I just watching some of these shows because of its amazing content or because it is just “watchable?” After thinking about it I realized that I view mostly “just watchable television.” (such as MTV). 


Also do we all realize the impact it has on us? Television portrays a lifestyle that affects our culture. For example every show on T.V. stereotypes teenagers acting rebellious. Is this in a sense influencing teens to mimic this because it is what they are supposed to be like according to TV? Worst of all younger kids have access to these shows teaching them that violence and drugs are acceptable and younger sex is promoted. 



It is a great way to be entertained but I don’t believe people even consciously understand how it affects them. Creepily enough, with the constant repeat of the same commercials every 15 minutes, I can honestly say that I know words to most of them off the top of my head. Am I slowly being brainwashed? Are we all? 



Klosterman, Chuck. Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs.New York:

Scribner, 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment