Wednesday, October 7, 2009

No Escape


I interpret and understand mass media as the many different forms in which media messages are presented to me everyday. When I wake up I check my cellphone to see if I have any information from my friends (via text). Then I go online and my homepage, (msn.com), is a source providing me with daily news, entertainment and health information. As I walk through school there are posters of different events and advertisements for Guelph-Humber itself. Even driving down the highway there are huge billboards eager to be read. 

 Marshall McLuhan couldn’t stress enough that “the medium is the message.” He also said that the media are simple “extensions” of our bodies and of our minds. An example of this is when I use my cellphone for the most part of my day, along with the majority of everyone around me. My voice is extended and when I am listening my ears are part of the technology extension also. 

Negative or positive where ever I go there will always be media around me and directed right at me. This applies to the majority of people around the world, there is hardly an escape from it...










“The Playboy Interview: Marshal McLuhan”, Playboy Magazine, March 1969.


No comments:

Post a Comment